The course poses the following main research questions:
- What is the nature of the contemporary global security environment?
- What are the measures and tools to prevent the escalation of violence in a given contemporary crisis?
- What institutions bear the responsibility for global/ regional security and how do they operate?
- What can we learn from the case studies of modern preventive diplomacy?
Essential elements of the course:
- Contemporary security environment – lectures and guided discussions.
- Institutionalism in the security environment – lectures and student presentations
- Preventive diplomacy case studies – student-led analysis and discussion
The course aims to provide students with the following skills:
- An understanding of the nature and role of the preventive diplomacy
- Knowledge of the historical context of preventive diplomacy
- An understanding of the roles of major actors influencing global security
- Awareness of the most essential challenges faced by global security institutions.